Although we're not lawyers or able to give legal advice- the following has been published publicly and derived from what we've learned and now know to be true based on the scope of our professional expertise in the industry, and all of our direct & indirect (client's & consultants) experience with the FAA. We just want to share as many resources as we can with our customers!


To see options for your specific drone operations use this tool


To Operate Commercially:

  1. Remote Pilot Certificate Is valid for 2 years, and required to operate under Part 107. First study for your the exam, then schedule your appointment at your local Knowledge Testing Center. If you need to operate outside of the limitations of Part 107, i.e. night ops, fly higher than 400ft, ops over people, from a moving vehicle, beyond VLOS, etc. or need access to additional airspace- you can request & receive approvals online) Public Safety & First Responders or if responding to natural disasters & other emergency situations can receive expedited approvals.

  2. Register your aircraft with the FAA and mark your drone. If intending to operate over 55lbs see paper application and the process 

If Applicable:

  • 333 Exemption for Ops Over 55lbs- to operate beyond Part 107 weight limit, this will also include your "blanket" COA (certificate of waiver or authorization), see Advanced Operations and Section 333 request

  • Part 137 Waiver for Aerial Spraying- relief from certain sections due to being unmanned, and approval for others to perform aerial dispensing of chemicals you'll see this also includes having an agriculture aircraft operating certificate (in addition to obtaining your local/state applicator's licensing)


Because of the previous approvals granted on our aircraft, the AG-V6A+ and AG-V8A+ have both received a "Summary Grant" that you can reference in Over 55lb Exemption, and Part 137 Waiver. 


Here are some helpful resources to get you started (you'll also see other links to follow that include additional guidance, instructions & FAQ):

  • This recent blog explains the 3 basic components of FAA compliance for spraying https://hse-uav.com/how-to-use-spray-drones-legally/

  • To first submit your request for 137 is completing this application form and providing a LOI (letter of intent) this link has a pretty good breakdown & outline of the process, and includes certification job aids & sample.

  • You can use some of this for reference to help build your SOP (standard operating procedures) also known as ops manual, and your safety case on your requests to operate over 55lbs & for spraying

Existing approvals you can refer to as solid examples (in your petition, you can also reference HSE, DroneSeed, Yamaha, etc. as similar requests, likeness of operations, and previously approved. All FAA requests & decisions are on the public docket, it's just not as easily searchable on Google but feel free to see what else you can find!):

  1. HSE's original 333 exemption prior to the creation of Part 107 (you can see how we referred to Summary Grant on aircraft) 

  2. HSE's amendment to add aircraft to waiver 

  3. HSE's submission and approval for over 55lbs 333 exemption 

  4. DroneSeed over 55lb approval (they also has approval for spraying & swarming with our aircraft too!)


  1. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

  2. https://www.rupprechtdrones.com/courses/part-107-the-drone-regulations